Quinn Dressel Associates has been involved in projects such as the installation of the new Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectrometer (NMR) at the McMurrich Building at the University of Toronto; design of restoration and reconstruction services of the tunnel in the Rosebrugh Building at University of Toronto; the alterations and addition of classrooms, gymnasium and fitness centre at Bishop Strachan School; the design of Erindale Campus Communication Culture & Information Technology (CCIT) – University of Toronto in Mississauga; Michael G. DeGroote Centre Atrium Addition – McMaster University in Hamilton and St. Andrew’s College in Aurora.
Additional Academic Projects:
- University of Toronto – McClennan Building, Toronto
Repairs included structural pinning back the limestone panels, mortar repointing, caulking replacement, limestone panel repairs and sandblasting of the façade.
- University of Toronto – McMurrich Building, Toronto
The project involved the installation of a Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Unit on the ground floor of an existing building.
The McMurrich Building at the University of Toronto was equipped with a Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectrometer, carrying an approximate weight of 40kN. The Scope of Work called for the NMR to be supported by grade beams to transfer the load to the existing foundations and required the demolition of the second floor tiered lecture theatre and subsequent installation of a horizontal floor. The NMR was suspended from the floor above during the installation.
The project involved the installation of a Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Unit on the ground floor of an existing building built circa 1910. The existing sloping lecture theatre above was demolished and a new horizontal concrete floor was installed while the existing stone masonry walls were maintained.
- University of Toronto – Wallberg & Pratt Buildings, Substation Rooms
The project involved the survey and review of the high-voltage substation rooms for both buildings. A new electrical room to replace two grade level parking spaces above the HV Substation of the Wallberg Building. An extension to the existing penthouse of the roof of the Pratt Building is to house two new transformers.
- McMaster University – Michael DeGroote Centre for Learning & Discovery, Hamilton
The project involves a much needed space for teaching, learning and research and addresses a number of critical needs for the University and its affiliates. A three-storey glass enclosed atrium including a dramatic "floating" third floor glass-enclosed atrium and meeting room to enhance the front of the University’s 300,000 square-foot, five-storey expansion of the Centre, and includes areas for gatherings and special announcements, accented by tranquil water flows, reflecting ponds, and indoor gardens.
Number of Storeys: 5
Size: 278, 770 square feet
Award: 2005 - Ontario Concrete Awards – Material Development & Innovation Award – Cast-in-Place Concrete
- University of Toronto – Rosebrugh Building, FitzGerald Building & Lassonde Mining Building
Detailed Pre-construction Condition Study and Structural Evaluation of three predominantly masonry buildings at University of Toronto.
Each of the three buildings were constructed in the early 20th century. Emphasis on the long-term history of cracking in the masonry structure of the Rosebrugh Building formed a major part of the study. The dilemma of the underground Taddle Creek, although beyond the scope of work, was investigated and recommendations made for likely solutions.
- St. Michael’s College School – Stage III Addition, Toronto
The project involves a 55,000 ft2 addition that houses new classrooms, library and new environmental and life safety systems.
The origins of St. Michael's College School (SMCS) date to 1852 when Bishop de Charbonnel established the school in part of his house on Church Street. After outgrowing its facilities, the school was moved in 1856 to Clover Hill which was donated to the Basilian Fathers by the Honourable John Elmsley. In 1881 SMCS was affiliated with St. Michael's College at the University of Toronto for post secondary education. Expanding at an incredible rate, a new wing was added in 1902 and the school remained at this location until 1950.
At this time, the school separated from the College and in September 1950 St. Michael's College School opened its doors in a new building located at Bathurst Street and St. Clair Avenue West where it remains today.
As part of a major redevelopment program in accordance with the school's Master Plan, several new construction stages were initiated to bring the school's systems up to Code and to equip it with the technology to keep its students current in many academic fields. Quinn Dressel Associates was honoured with the opportunity to work on Stage III of the St. Michael's College School addition and renovation project.
The Stage III Addition to St. Michael's College School included a three-storey addition of approximately 55,000 ft2 and houses new classrooms, the new Odette Library and new environmental and life safety systems.